Tuesday, February 26, 2013

PINE NEEDLE BASKET

I was asked if I was doing any knitting or crocheting projects - NO.   But I did finish something that I have been wanting to try.   A few years ago I watched the end of a demonstration on making baskets from pine needles.   The Gulf Coast has "long-leaf pine trees".   The needles can be from 8" to 16" long depending on the tree!!   A friend gave me her how-to book and said KEEP IT!   I knew that there were long needles around the Baldwin County Heritage Museum in Elberta, but I never got around to collecting needles or reading the book.

Then the lady who gave me the book died unexpectedly in last December.   We went to her funeral and I remembered the book she gave me.  Since I was raking up pine needles to mulch flower beds at the Museum, I saved a bagful, brought them home, sorted them from the leaves, washed them and dried them in the breeze outside.

I found Anna Marie's book and there was a basket started but not completed!!   So I followed the instructions with new raffia and completed her basket.   It is just the right size to hold Gary's watch and pocket knife.   Here is what it looks like.


I've tried to START a basket, but my needles are too brittle.   They need to soak more OR I have to start with green needles for this part.   I've sort of lost interest now, but I may try to find a button with large holes and use that to start the basket the next time.


1 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 06, 2013 , Blogger Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

I'm glad you were able to finish the basket :) It looks good!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home